Xorg listening on the WAN?

Walter Hurry walterhurry at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 19:13:39 UTC 2012

FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE

I think Xorg is listening on external addresses:

$ sockstat -46 |grep Xorg
root     Xorg       1573  1  tcp6   *:6000                *:*
root     Xorg       1573  3  tcp4   *:6000                *:*
$ netstat -a|grep x11
tcp4       0      0 *.x11                  *.*                    LISTEN
tcp6       0      0 *.x11                  *.*                    LISTEN

I'm new to FreeBSD, but if I interpret this correctly, x11 is listening
for connections on port 6000 for connections from any IPv4 or IPv6
address.

I don't think I'm in any immediate danger, as I am behind a router which
will block incoming connection attempts, which (virtually) all seem to be
on the http port (80) anyway.

But it would give me a warm fuzzy feeling to stop x11 listening
externally at all - I don't think I need it. How can I go about that
please?

In case it makes a difference, I am using XDM with standard LXDE. I do
not use startx to initiate my sessions.

Thanks.