Omega Zip Drives on FreeBSD 8.*

Al Plant noc at hdk5.net
Mon Jun 25 01:50:19 UTC 2012

Adam Vande More wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 6:59 PM, Al Plant <noc at hdk5.net
> <mailto:noc at hdk5.net>> wrote:
>
>     I need to get an old parallel Omega Zip drive to work on a freeBSD
>     8.* to transfer some archives to new media.
>
>     I have a problem with getting the OS to read the Omega Zip drive so
>     it can be seen in dmesg to manually set the id correctly in
>     /etc/fstab Flash drives and floppies show up but not Parallel
>     Omegas. My wifes MS machine has no parallel input and my several
>     FreeBSD boxes do but wont find the hardware. I used to use Omega Zip
>     under FreeBSD 4.11. Thought these had been transferred years ago but
>     they were only found recently.
>
>     Any suggestions appreciated.
>

> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/zip-drive/article.html
>
> Also at /boot/kernel/vpo.ko
>

> --
> Adam Vande More

Thanks Adam,

I read the article and made a clean physical install and I now see the
vpo driver and the Omega Zip device in the  dmesg as da0. I have it in
the /etc/fstab file as da0s4 (which should work) I still can't access
the drive or the contents but at least it shows up now. Something to
work with.

   + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org +
   + http://aloha50.net   - Supporting - FreeBSD  7.2 - 8.0 - 9* +
   < email: noc at hdk5.net >