backup tools

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sat Jun 23 17:25:56 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 11:17:36AM +0200, herbert langhans wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 11:10:06AM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> > >lftp does work incremental. Take a look at Chad's posting again and read
> > >what he needs. And of course, ftp via ssh is nothing new ...
>
> > still - any ftp client will no go faster than ftp protocol allows.
>
> That's sure. But I think it's an option for the laptops what Chad
> mentioned. Such scripts for backup are set up in minutes and it happily
> copies the files to the server. If there are already user accounts on
> the server, it could be really easy. I think it depends on the scale of
> the network.

It does appear to meet my needs, at first glance, with any capabilities
it does not already have that I might need easily scripted.  I'm having a
difficult time finding any reference to licensing, though.  Matt Dillon's
explanation of cpdup suggests it is probably some kind of BSD-licensed,
given its inclusion in DragonFly BSD base utilities, but that's not
*necessarily* the case.

Reference:

    http://apollo.backplane.com/FreeSrc/

I'm going to try emailing Dillon for clarification, too.

In any case, I'll take a closer look at cpdup.  Thanks for bringing it to
my attention.