changing md5 hashed for sha

Devin Teske devin.teske at fisglobal.com
Sat Jun 23 16:05:56 UTC 2012

On Jun 23, 2012, at 6:37 AM, Christopher J. Ruwe wrote:

> For setting the dafault hash used to hash /etc/master.passwd, it has
> been recommended changing md5 for something more secure in the sense of
> being more expensive to crack.
>
> The handbook describes the procedure used in
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/crypt.html.
> Allegedly, hashes which were hashed with one of the sha-functions begin
> with the character $6$.

Unfortunately, it appears that login.conf is ignored by pw w/respect to group(5) passwords.

Example Given:

Setting passwd_format=blf in login.conf(5) followed by executing:

echo newpass | sudo pw usermod SOMEUSER -h 0
sudo grep '^SOMEUSER:' /etc/master.passwd

# shows Blowfish hash starting with $2a$, meanwhile…

echo newpass | sudo pw groupmod SOMEGROUP -h 0
grep '^SOMEGROUP:' /etc/group

# shows login.conf(5) was ignored and an old-style crypt password (2-letter salt; 8-character max password)

:(

--
Devin