changing md5 hashed for sha

Christopher J. Ruwe cjr at cruwe.de
Sat Jun 23 13:37:27 UTC 2012

For setting the dafault hash used to hash /etc/master.passwd, it has
been recommended changing md5 for something more secure in the sense of
being more expensive to crack.

The handbook describes the procedure used in
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/crypt.html.
Allegedly, hashes which were hashed with one of the sha-functions begin
with the character $6$.

Afer having changed my /etc/login.conf accordingly and having reset the
passwords, the given there is not md5 anymore (I have tried with md5),
but does not begin with the character $6$, but, as md5, with $1$, which
is supposed to be md5-hashed.

I fear I am a bit dense here, what am I getting wrong?

Thanks and cheers,
--
Christopher
TZ: GMT + 2h