USB system: FreeBSD 9-STABLE and 10-CURRENT do not recognize 64GB USB drive while Linux and Windows do

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Sat Jun 23 13:29:06 UTC 2012

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 15:00:29 +0200 (CEST)
Wojciech Puchar articulated:

> >> ports.
> >>
> > Same as in my case.
> >
> > USB is more a lottery than real computing for me.
> but this is not USB standard fault, but USB device manufacturers that
> cannot really read standard specifications. "It works" (under
> windoze, under linux) is enough.

If the ROI does not exceed the expenditure to meet a specification that
only applies to a niche segment of the potential market, then it is in
all probability not going to happen. Furthermore, I have seen no
documented proof that the problem actually exists with the device and
not with the FreeBSD implementation of the specification nor with its
supplied drivers. FreeBSD has not exactly been a leader in the
implementation of USB. Apparently, it doesn't fully support all
variants of USB <http://wiki.freebsd.org/USB> although that might have
recently changed.

In any case, as a wise man once stated, it is better to light a
candle than curse the darkness.

--
Jerry ♔