Is ZFS production ready?

Robison, Dave david.robison at fisglobal.com
Thu Jun 21 17:22:28 UTC 2012

On 06/21/2012 00:33, Hooman Fazaeli wrote:
> Dear community
>
> In the past, I built a 8TB ZFS log server on freebsd 7.4.
> However, the system  experienced instablility after long up times.
> My main motive to use ZFS was UFS inability to support large
> file systems.
>
> Now, I want to the same thing on 8.3 and wanted to know
> your opinion on ZFS stability. Is there any success story using
> ZFS in 24x7, large volume, heavy duty servers? Is there any
> other option other than ZFS to build larger than 2TB file systems?

We use ZFS for critical data and are quite happy with it. I've been
using it in production since 8.1-R and have yet to have a problem.
Make sure you do your zpool scrubs regularly. I use a cron job.

We are currently migrating our customer RAID arrays to ZFS to
ameliorate the multi-hour FSCK situations.

--
Dave Robison
Sales Solution Architect II
daver at vicor.com