CLANG vs GCC tests of fortran/f2c program

Mark Felder feld at feld.me
Wed Jun 20 14:47:40 UTC 2012

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 09:43:14 -0500, Wojciech Puchar
<wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:

>> Why not make FreeBSD better for everyone by cooperating with the CLANG
>> project?
>
> because we already have great compiler - GCC. In spite of using GPL
> licence.

GCC performs well, but it is a very messy undocumented codebase which
makes maintaining it a nightmare. Just ask Google -- you'll find many
others saying the same thing. It would take MORE work to get FreeBSD devs
up to speed on the GCC codebase to add the features we want than it is to
cooperate with the CLANG community and help them make their compiler
better than GCC in every test case.