CLANG vs GCC tests of fortran/f2c program

Fred Morcos fred.morcos at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 08:45:16 UTC 2012

The answer is:

1. gcc will still be available through the ports system.
2. The move to clang/llvm as a default compiler will reduce the amount
of GPL code in the base system, eventually reducing distribution
issues (especially for 3rd parties).
3. clang/llvm provides better error and warning messages, as well as
good static code analysis, which helps reduce some classes of bugs and
eventually will result in a more reliable FreeBSD system.
4. clang/llvm is improving quickly.
5. clang/llvm is more modular than gcc, although there are plans for
gcc to become as modular, it will take time.
6. gcc produces faster code, but clang/llvm will eventually (soon
enough) get there.
7. From the reasons above, it makes sense to complete a task sooner
rather than later, especially that clang/llvm isn't showing any signs
of weakness (lack of development power, etc).
8. There might be more reasons for or against, but I couldn't think of any.