Problem with freebsd-update

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Wed Jun 20 06:12:43 UTC 2012

I tried to update an amd64 FreeBSD 9.0 p0 system via freebsd-update tonight.  It fetched everything fine.  However, the install just hung after about 10 minutes.  The 2 sh processes are basically doing nothing.  Not consuming any processor time and not doing any I/O.  I killed it and tried another install.  Same thing.  Tried a rollback.  Same thing.  The system still runs mostly.  Top takes about 5 minutes before it produces any output.  It shows basically nothing running.  I really don't want to reinstall again as the system has a lot of files customized including many ports.  Is there any way to recover this?