text format

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Jun 13 06:11:24 UTC 2012

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 16:32:40 -0500 (CDT), Lars Eighner wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jun 2012, pwnedomina wrote:

> >> Depending on your input data, I'd say the same command:
> >> groff -Tascii<  normal.txt>  formatted.txt. But you need
> >> to test this yourself with your input text format.
> >>
> >> See "man nroff" for details.
> >>
> >> For using roff macros, "man 7 mdoc" has a nice summary.
> >>

> > im only asking what cmd should i use to format an ascii text to be identical
> > to that one, centered and aligned..

Depending on what your actual text input is (no markup, plain
ASCII text), this _should_ work:

	groff -Tascii < normal.txt > formatted.txt

But _you_ need to try yourself and _maybe_ adjust your input
accordingly. Also consider using the "fmt" program as it has
been suggested for "document preparation".

> I do not believe there is one.  It seems to me there were some DOS
> "amusement" programs that would do this, and you might find one and run it
> in dosbox.

I know that "Context Pro" can do this. Also "WordStar" or "TP"
are able to apply margins and align text to "justify" ("solid
column").

> There is very little demand for fully justified monospaced text
> because it is extremely ugly, hard to read, and error prone.  Nonetheless,
> OpenOffice appears able to do this and so can MS-Word.  I suspect many
> others can without the necessity of writing your own macro.  There may be
> modules in perl and other scripting languages that might be helpful.

It's even possible to search the web for a simple LaTeX enclosing
and put it into that, but then we leave the domain of ASCII text
in the output.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany