freebsd-update Not Recognizing Updated Custom Kernel for 9.0-RELEASE-p3

Ryan Frederick ryanrfrederick at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 19:30:05 UTC 2012

I have several FreeBSD 9 systems with custom compiled kernels. After
using freebsd-update to go from 9.0-RELEASE-p2 to 9.0-RELEASE-p3 this
morning I rebuilt the kernels. However after recompiling, installing,
and rebooting with the custom kernels subsequent update checks using
freebsd-update cron or freebsd-update fetch indicate that
/boot/kernel/kernel (and only /boot/kernel/kernel) needs to be updated
despite the custom kernel indicating 9.0-RELEASE-p3 in the output of
uname -a.

Ryan