USB 3.0 delay in 'detecting' attached drive

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Mon Jun 11 00:00:14 UTC 2012

Waitman Gobble wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 1:56 PM, Julian H. Stacey <jhs at berklix.com> wrote:
>
> > Waitman Gobble wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have a new machine with 2 USB 3.0 ports and 2 USB 2.0 ports. When I
> > plug
> > > a USB 3.0 drive / cable into the USB 3.0 port it takes about 70 seconds
> > for
> > > the drive to show up, on the USB 2.0 port it's instantly. I haven't used
> > > USB 3.0 with FreeBSD so I'm not sure if this is expected or maybe I need
> > > reconfigure something or look at a different kernel config.
> >
> > Might be a marginal power issue.
> > USB 3 devices are allowed to consume 1.0 Amps.
> > USB2 ports only need provide 0.5.
> >
> > I have a tower wont recognise my USB disc on its USB2 ports.
> > On my new PCI express card in same tower, it comes up quickly.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Julian

> Thanks.
>
> Not sure if there's anything I can do about that. It's a new HP dv6 laptop
> which according to box was mfg in May 2012... I would assume hardware would
> be designed and put together properly. :)

Sounds new enough :-)

My USB3 disc on my newish laptop with USB 2 socket & 8.2 & 9.0 come
up fast enough, not noticed problems, not specificaly timed it though.

Try external power if you have a socket on disk box  ?

Try disk on another known good FreeBSD USB3 card on a tower (my card cost
30 Euro BTW)

Or try a power doubler cable (connected via a female to female
adapter, which Ive never seen on sale, I made my own by cutting up
a dead mainboard), to the USB 3 male to male cable. (for any who
dont know, cant omit that cable as USB3 socket on lapop size drives
is a different shape, flater, wider.

I wonder if it might be taking time dropping back to USB2 speed.
if eg you don't have xhci in kernel ?

I have all of
	config -x/boot/kernel/kernel | grep hci
		device  uhci
		device  ohci
		device  xhci
		device  ehci
I just havent taken some out yet.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, cumulative like a play script, & indent with "> ".