Is this something we (as consumers of FreeBSD) need to be aware of?]

Damien Fleuriot ml at my.gd
Thu Jun 7 08:41:08 UTC 2012

On 6/5/12 10:19 PM, Colin Barnabas wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 05, 2012 at 11:19:26AM -0700, Kurt Buff wrote:
>> UEFI considerations drive Fedora to pay MSFT to sign their kernel binaries
>> http://cwonline.computerworld.com/t/8035515/1292406/565573/0/
>>
>> This would seem to make compiling from source difficult.
>>
>> Kurt
>>
> History show us that _everything_ will eventually run *nix. Take a
> look at the Sony PS3 debacle. After Sony yanked support for
> installing other OS's, the community ripped apart their
> hypervisor in a matter of months. If these boot keys do gain any
> momentum, sooner than later the community with poke holes in the
> system.

This, however, raises the problem of the legality of it.

George HOTZ was sued by Sony for releasing the master key.

While Anonymous responded very aggressively (and while I do not
generally condone their actions, this one I can both understand and
support), in the end the consensus reached was that Geohotz agreed to
not work on bypassing the PS3's protections anymore.