Is this something we (as consumers of FreeBSD) need to be aware of?

Gökşin Akdeniz goksin.akdeniz at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 20:00:38 UTC 2012

> Not quite. As I understand it, on ARM secure boot will be enabled by
> default and users won't have any option of disabling it or adding
> their own keys.

That is correct. ARM based tablets which have Windows 8 preinstalled
will only boot Windows 8. There is no chance of disabling secure boot
on ARM tables with Windows 8.

> On x86 secure boot will be enabled by default too,
> but with the option of disabling it or adding custom keys.

Micrsoft confirms that there will be no obligations for secure boot
option on x86 and x86_64 platforms. It is up to
vendor and users to decide to enable secure boot or not. Besides users
may add/delete/manage own keys with secure boot options. For  the
time being only ARM platform is restricted.
--
Gökşin Akdeniz <goksin.akdeniz at gmail.com>