acroread9 makes CPU spin (busy loop?)

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Jul 29 23:14:02 UTC 2012

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 13:07:21 +0200 (CEST), Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> > acroread9 is awfully slow, or more accurately it was the PDF I was
> > editing for UK government tax return (**.) I recall reading it was
> > also awfully slow on MS.  I never use it except when I have to (**)
> >
> true. braindamaged PDFs are the only reason to use this bulky software.

Even if no file is opened, the load increases:

 PID USERNAME    THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE   C   TIME   WCPU COMMAND
8465 poly          1 115    0   109M 62720K CPU0    0   1:08 87.35% acroread

This state is reached in about a minute. Note: No file loaded,
it's just the viewer program!

> xpdf do everything else - at least 5 times faster

I also prefer xpdf, and gv for specific cases. I'm almost sure
the PDF viewers of KDE and Gnome are also capable of dealing
with the most "extensions" that create braindamaged PDFs. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany