On-access AV scanning

Erich Dollansky erichfreebsdlist at ovitrap.com
Fri Jul 27 12:13:19 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 12:47:29 +0100
Daniel Bye <freebsd-questions at slightlystrange.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 07:19:45AM -0400, Daniel Feenberg wrote:

why should it be available when it is not needed?

Ok, this is a bad reasoning.

> Thanks, Daniel. I have looked at Kaspersky, and various others, but
> the main sticking point, as I see it, is that there is no on-access
> scanning capability in any of the AV packages available for FreeBSD.

You will not find them. The scanners running on FreeBSD are looking for
Windows pests.

> It's not essential to build my case, but it would certainly
> strengthen it.  I use ClamAV on my home mail server, and it works
> well.  I have also tested it out on a desktop machine to run
> on-demand scans, and it works just fine, and doesn't impose so much
> of a load as to be a nuisance.

Does it scan for FreeBSD viruses? I would wonder.

> We have had a couple of virus outbreaks recently, so this is quite a
> high profile concern around here at the moment. The CIO is from a
> technical background, so I might well be able to convince him of
> FreeBSD's strengths as a very secure system, but I will still need to
> accede to the IT policy, sadly - no way around it.

You will have to give it a miss then.

The security concepts of FreeBSD are 100% different. They will never
match this kind of policy.

Erich