On-access AV scanning

Daniel Bye freebsd-questions at slightlystrange.org
Fri Jul 27 11:47:33 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 07:19:45AM -0400, Daniel Feenberg wrote:

> >>FreeBSD doesn't need this as there are no viruses on that system.
> >
> >Well, thanks.

> >>No idea - YOU will not spread wiruses, and viruses from other
> >>winstations will not affect you.
> >>
> >>so just install antivirus software on winstations.
> >>
> >>Or finally educate users as it is really simple to avoid viruses
> >>even with windows
> >
> >I refer you to the part where I specifically talk about our corporate IT
> >policy. All desktops/workstations (that is, all of them, every single one),
> >must have AV software running on them. There will be no exceptions, on pain
>
> Well, there is AV software for FreeBSD - we use Kaspersky on our
> FreeBSD based mailserver, but the viruses it looks for are Windows
> viruses. I don't know if that will satisfy your IT policy. Maybe you
> should be looking at Cygwin? Or, can FreeBSD run under HyperV?

Thanks, Daniel. I have looked at Kaspersky, and various others, but the main
sticking point, as I see it, is that there is no on-access scanning
capability in any of the AV packages available for FreeBSD.  It's not
essential to build my case, but it would certainly strengthen it.  I use
ClamAV on my home mail server, and it works well.  I have also tested it out
on a desktop machine to run on-demand scans, and it works just fine, and
doesn't impose so much of a load as to be a nuisance.

We have had a couple of virus outbreaks recently, so this is quite a high
profile concern around here at the moment. The CIO is from a technical
background, so I might well be able to convince him of FreeBSD's strengths
as a very secure system, but I will still need to accede to the IT policy,
sadly - no way around it.

Dan

--
Daniel Bye