FreeBSD Stable production version.

Paul Macdonald paul at ifdnrg.com
Wed Jul 25 22:43:23 UTC 2012

On 25/07/2012 13:13, Jerry wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 13:19:53 +0200
> Damien Fleuriot articulated:
>
>> I'd say it's a matter of personal preference.
>>
>> We're mostly running 8.3 in production here.
>>
>> I've recently installed 9-STABLE servers to try them out and fill PRs
>> if I get problems.
>>
>> I would encourage you to use 9-STABLE so that you may do the same and
>> ensure the stability of future releases.
> I would agree with that philosophy up to a point. It is definitely a
> matter of personal preference; however, for myself, I NEVER install
> version X.0 of any software if said software is to be used in a mission
> critical situation. I always wait until X.1 is released. If possible in
> your case, would it be feasible to wait until 9.1 is released? You
> can gather some info on it here:
> <http://www.freebsd.org/releases/9.1R/schedule.html>. As usual, any
> correlation between the expected release date and the actual date is
> purely coincidental. Just my 2¢ on the matter.

not disagreeing per se..but just a reminder that with the excellent
freebsd-update you get updates to 9.0 quickly ( i hadn't realised there
was 61 already)

from a new install earlier tonight

Inspecting system... done.
Preparing to download files... done.
Fetching 61 patches.....10....20....30....40....50....60 done.

Paul.