Removing sendmail from an installed system

Fbsd8 fbsd8 at a1poweruser.com
Wed Jul 25 11:29:12 UTC 2012

Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Darren Pilgrim <list_freebsd at bluerosetech.com> writes:
>
>> I'm removing sendmail entirely from an installed system.  I had
>> WITHOUT_SENDMAIL in /etc/src.conf when I updated to RELENG_8_3, but
>> that left an old version of sendmail rotting away on disk.  This is
>> the list I have so far:
>>
>> /etc/mail/* (excluding mailer.conf)
>> /etc/rc.d/sendmail
>> /usr/bin/vacation
>> /usr/libexec/mail.local
>> /usr/libexec/sendmail
>> /usr/libexec/smrsh
>> /usr/sbin/editmap
>> /usr/sbin/mailstats
>> /usr/sbin/makemap
>> /usr/sbin/praliases
>> /usr/share/sendmail
>> /var/spool/clientmqueue
>> /var/spool/mqueue
>>
>> Is this list complete?  I'm intentionally leaving the stuff for
>> mailwrapper.  I'm ok with leaving /etc/rc.d/sendmail behind as well,
>> but it looks like it's not needed by anything (i.e., nothing requires
>> "mail").
>
> "make delete-old"; see the section "Deleting obsolete files, directories
> and libraries" in the handbook.
>
>> Even though I have WITHOUT_SENDMAIL specified and the world was built
>> with that, mergemaster still installs /etc/mail/aliases and
>> /etc/rc.d/sendmail.  Is there a way to prevent this other than adding
>> them to IGNORE_FILES in mergemasterrc?
>
> There are other ways, but that's the first one I would think of. Note
> that neither of these files can be harmful, and might (especially
> aliases) be used by other MTA.

I have same question but from different view point. In my situation I
find it easier to install from scratch to empty disk using .iso file
when moving to an newer version of freebsd. Sendmail is included as part
of the base system. What is best method to totally remove sendmail
including the /var/log/sendmail.st file from rotating?