Disk Errors

dweimer dweimer at dweimer.net
Tue Jul 24 22:46:30 UTC 2012

On 2012-07-24 16:10, Warren Block wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jul 2012, dweimer wrote:
>
>> Just curious, I am sure the likely issue is a bad disk, but I
>> thought there might be a chance this could be caused by possibly by
>> something else.
>>
>> I have three 1TB disks I use for backup, two of them are Western
>> Digital drives I bought specifically for this purpose.  One is a
>> Seagate drive that came out of a barebones PC that I replaced with a
>> couple smaller drives in a stripe to gain performance.  I use the
>> drives in an external SATA dock, using geom eli encryption, the
>> western digital drives give me no problems, but the seagate drive
>> gives me a lot of the following errors under load.
>>
>> ad4: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA48 retrying (1 retry left) LBA=817755328
>> ad4: WARNING - WRITE_DMA48 UDMA ICRC error (retrying request)
>> LBA=837397120
>> ad4: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA48 retrying (1 retry left) LBA=879786112
>> ad4: WARNING - WRITE_DMA48 UDMA ICRC error (retrying request)
>> LBA=882931200
>> ad4: WARNING - WRITE_DMA48 UDMA ICRC error (retrying request)
>> LBA=890542016
>> ad4: WARNING - WRITE_DMA48 UDMA ICRC error (retrying request)
>> LBA=902767296
>> ad4: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA48 retrying (1 retry left) LBA=904071296
>>
>> dmesg info about the drive at connection time:
>> ad4: 953869MB <Seagate ST31000528AS CC46> at ata2-master UDMA100
>> SATA 3Gb/s
>
> There are more than a few problem reports on the net concerning that
> drive, even on Seagate's own forums.  Both hardware problems and
> firmware problems.  Your later post says you have firmware version
> CC46, and Seagate has an update to CC49.  That's worth a try.
>
> http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/213891en?language=en_US

Definately going to try this firmware update, if only it would see the
disk through the eSATA controller, but unfortunately it marks it as a
JBOD raid instead of straight access to the disk.  So this will have to
wait until I put my puppy to bed for the night as she keeps trying to
eat the pillow from my bed while I am working on this.

--
Thanks,
    Dean E. Weimer