help about free bsp version netcat to work it on ubuntu

Carl Johnson carlj at peak.org
Tue Jul 24 16:02:18 UTC 2012

lei yang <yanglei.fage at gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 12:03 AM, Carl Johnson <carlj at peak.org> wrote:
>> lei yang <yanglei.fage at gmail.com> writes:

>>> it has no "-U" flag, can you point me where I get this version
>>>
>> Have you checked the other version of netcat already available?  A quick
>> check shows these four versions for Ubuntu:
>>
>> netcat: TCP/IP swiss army knife -- transitional package
>> netcat-openbsd: TCP/IP swiss army knife
>> netcat-traditional: TCP/IP swiss army knife
>> netcat6: TCP/IP swiss army knife with IPv6 support
>>

> how did you get the list?

I used the surfraw package which is available on freebsd, debian, and
ubuntu.  In this case I just used 'debpackages -u netcat' to do access
the ubuntu packages search page.  There is also 'freebsd -psearch' to
search freebsd ports, and debpackages without -u shows debian packages.

> To be clear, haha, I just want to know how to build a fress bsd netcat
> on a no-fressbsd platform

Others have probably already mentioned this, but you are probably better
off trying ports source instead.  Most of those are written to be
portable and are easily configured for other OSs.  Freebsd port search
shows the following for netcat:

net/cryptcat              Standard netcat enhanced with twofish encryption
net/gnetcat               GPL'ed re-write of the well known networking tool netcat
net/nc6                   Netcat clone with IPv6 support
net/netcat                Simple utility which reads and writes data across network connections
net/sbd                   A netcat clone with more features and crypto
net/scnc                  SSL Capable Netcat
security/sst              A simple SSL tunneling tool (uses netcat)

Carl Johnson		carlj at peak.org