usb identity issue (adds more info)

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Jul 24 00:44:43 UTC 2012

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 14:02:37 -1000, Al Plant wrote:
> doesnt say on this dmesg. Only shows up when you plug in the /flash
> (SanDisk)

Ah, SanDisk... I remember I returned one of their USB sticks
in exchange for a Sony, because that DID WORK. :-)

> > Have you tried different manufactures of flash drives?
> Have tried 2 sandisk /flash different series.

For diagnostics, "by the book", simple and step by step:

You could first check dmesg ouput atter plugging in the USB
device. It should show the steps of recognition properly:
USB device ---> mass storage ---> direct access. Typically
that's the last few lines in dmesg output.

ugen4.3: <Sony> at usbus4
umass1: <Sony Storage Media, class 0/0, rev 2.00/2.00, addr 3> on usbus4
da3 at umass-sim1 bus 1 scbus4 target 0 lun 0
da3: <Sony Storage Media 1.00> Removable Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da3: 40.000MB/s transfers
da3: 3826MB (7835648 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 487C)

You can easily see those steps represented here. If all this
is met, you should have /dev/da3 (in this case) in /dev.
Depending on partitioning, there may be other files like
/dev/da3s1. One of them is to be mounted.

Try per command line first, then check if your /etc/fstab
does reflect those settings, e. g.

	# mount -t msdosfs -o ro /dev/da3 /mnt
	# df -h /mnt
	Filesystem    Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
	/dev/da3      3.7G    3.4G    352M    91%    /mnt
	# umount /mnt

Please report back and provide the output of the commands
you entered (just to make sure it's not blocked by permission
issues or typos). :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany