fsck on FAT32 filesystem?

Robert Bonomi bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com
Sun Jul 22 20:34:51 UTC 2012

> From owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org  Sun Jul 22 09:19:24 2012
> Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 15:16:01 +0100
> From: Bruce Cran <bruce at cran.org.uk>
> To: Robert Bonomi <bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com>
> Cc: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: fsck on FAT32 filesystem?
>
> On 22/07/2012 11:38, Robert Bonomi wrote:
> > Needless to say, that approach doesn't work under Windows.  <grin>
>
> 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M' works under Cygwin - or you can just
> write a load of zeros to \\.\PhysicalDrive0 .

I've never seen a Windows installation that _came_with_ cgwin, or  an
'average' Windows user that was capable of (a) findingit, (b) comprehending
-what- it was, (c) downloading it, (d) installing it, or (e) figuring out
how to -use- it..

Aside from those 'minor' difficulties, it's a viable solution.