Power failure during portsnap fetch update

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Jul 21 15:13:03 UTC 2012

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 16:56:28 +0200, Leslie Jensen wrote:
> Here are the errors:
>

> root at bsd01~:fsck -F /dev/ad4s3f
> ** /dev/ad4s3f (NO WRITE)
                  ^^^^^^^^

In that case, fsck won't correct any errors. Good for checking,
bad for repairing!

Make sure the partition isn't mounted (e. g. right after entering
SUM after a "boot -s" system start) and run:

	# fsck -yf /dev/ad4s3f

This will tell fsck to perform the check anyway (-f) and answer
YES (-y) to all questions regarding file system modification.
If you feel unhappy with this quite "brutal approach", leave
out the -y parameter and answer the questions yourself.

The error messages you did show in the form of

> MISSING '.'  I=5021  OWNER=root MODE=40755
> SIZE=512 MTIME=Jul 21 16:13 2012
> DIR=?
>
> UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY
>
> FIX? no

and

> MISSING '..'  I=2571711  OWNER=root MODE=40755
> SIZE=512 MTIME=Jul 21 16:28 2012
> DIR=/ports/net/netselect
>
> UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY
>
> FIX? no

as well as

> LINK COUNT DIR I=5021  OWNER=root MODE=40755
> SIZE=512 MTIME=Jul 21 16:13 2012  COUNT 1 SHOULD BE 2
> LINK COUNT INCREASING
> UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY
>
> ADJUST? no

show that the inodes of several directories have been damaged.
This perfectly fits your observation of not being able to
remove those directories.

You _need_ to repair the file system in order to proceed. First
let fsck try to do its job. If it fails to do so, attempt to
manually "repair" the inodes (by removing them altogether).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany