find USB v2.0 physical ports on the computer

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Jul 20 16:49:50 UTC 2012

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 11:01:19 -0400, Fbsd8 wrote:
> During the boot process I get these messages.
> I want to find the physical USB v2.0 ports on the computer box.
> How can I do this?

Check the documentation of your computer (mainboard). It
should note where the ports are located. In systems that
have _both_ USB 1.0 and 2.0, there sometimes is even a
red sticker to "alert" you which ports are only USB 1.0.
The manual of the board depicts which USB ports are those.
Typical places would be rear side, internal connectors,
and front ports (connected to those internal ones).

If you do not have any documentation, take a USB 2.0 device
(where you are _sure_ it's USB 2.0) and try it on all the
ports. Check the dmesg output informing you about how the
device has been initialized (e. g. transfer speed mentioned).
You can also use usbconfig to obtain this information.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany