fsck on FAT32 filesystem?

C. P. Ghost cpghost at cordula.ws
Fri Jul 20 15:57:51 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 4:53 AM, Robert Bonomi <bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com> wrote:
> All I'm going to say is:
>   1) There's a _reason_ the gov't requires hard drives with anthing higher
>      than 'somewhat' classified data on them to be =physically= destroyed
>      before leving the secure area.

Speaking from experience, I confirm that it's true. However,
regulations have been tightened further recently as to mandate
sector-level encryption of the hard disks as well, just to be on the
sure(rer) side. At least in certain particularly sensitive areas.

>   2) As of 2007, 'over-writing' data (regardless of how many times) is *not*
>      sufficient, any more, for _any_ military purposes.

Yes. With enough resources, it is possible to read lower magnetic
layers of HDDs, at least partially. And with SDDs, it's trivial to locate
the old sectors, because their firmware doesn't overwrite the same
physical spots for obvious reasons.

That's why sector-level disk encryption is paramount nowadays.
And that opens a whole new Pandora's box of key management
issues and vulnerabilities. ;-)

-cpghost.

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/