Apache vs. nginx

Paul Schmehl pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com
Tue Jul 17 14:41:48 UTC 2012

I'm the admin for a small hobby website (Stovebolt.com - about 7 million
hits/mo).  We're fixin to buy a new server, and since I have to start from
scratch (install FreeBSD and all the needed ports), I'm wondering if anyone
on this list has switched from Apache to nginx.

If you have, what has your experience been like?  Was the change relatively
easy?  (I'm not intimidated by technical details.  I've been running
FreeBSD on these servers for about 12 years now.)  Was the performance
better?  (We've not been having any problems with Apache to this point.)
Is there sufficient support from addon apps to run a site with a php-driven
forum?

--
Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst