Is there a way to run FreeBSD ports through port 80?

mrkvrg mrkvrg at acm.org
Sun Jul 15 20:12:38 UTC 2012

Hello All,

I have a similar problem with passive ftp due to a self-imposed
restrictive firewall.  When "make fetch" is run on a port and ftp data
is required, the PF firewall stops the program from completing.  I got
around this problem by restarting the firewall with a separate set of
rules that opened up more ports needed for passive ftp.  After the fetch
operation I would then restart PF with the more restrictive rules.  This
sequence works but is a pain to maintain and also opens up a large
number of ports during ftp operations.  I would like to have a setup in
which I do not have to restart my firewall every time I need to use
passive ftp.

From past experience setting MASTER_SORT to http works for those ports
that use http but obviously has not worked for those ports that ONLY use
ftp.

I tried to use ftp-proxy but as far as I'm able to ascertain it will not
work on my simple home office setup.  It is a single client connected to
the internet via a router:

  host <--> router <--> adsl modem <--> ISP.

Any help to resolve this will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers ...

Mark