fsck on FAT32 filesystem?

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Sun Jul 15 12:30:18 UTC 2012

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 10:56:22 +0200 (CEST)
Wojciech Puchar articulated:

> > Is there any such a tool (as fsck for FAT32) available for
> > freeBSD?  If so, where would I find it?
>
> fsck_msdosfs
>
> but, in spite of some fanatics here my get worried, i do recommend
> use Window's Scandisk.

If you absolutely, positively have to recover the drive, I would
recommend SpinRite 6 <http://www.grc.com/intro.htm>. Its not free;
however, I have witnessed it recovering drives that other utilities gave
up on. The only problem is that if you use another utility first it may
mangle up the drive so bad that SpinRite cannot correct it. Its not
quick either. I have seen it take an entire week to rebuild an 80 GB
drive, but it DID actually recover all of the data.

The choice is yours; however, running SpinRite at its maximum strength
-- 5 -- is about as good as it gets unless you want to try a commercial
outlet.

--
Jerry ♔