Is there a way to run FreeBSD ports through port 80?

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Thu Jul 12 17:19:58 UTC 2012

Kaya Saman <kayasaman at gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 5:47 PM, Mark Felder <feld at feld.me> wrote:
>> On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 11:23:29 -0500, Kaya Saman <kayasaman at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I would like to use ports specifically and not the pkg_add tool to get
>>> software.
>>

>> Getting the ports tree with csup/cvsup wouldn't use ftp. You could run your
>> own local mirror (net/cvsup-mirror) as well.

> Yeah, this is a good idea.... I was actually thinking about this.
>
> I've never done it so I'd need to google around a bit and do some
> testing but it is probably what we would want to do!

It's quite easy. It does require letting cvsup through the firewall,
though. Getting the ports tree through HTTP is best done with portsnap,
but once you get it inside your network you can run a cvsup server, NFS
mount it on the other machines, or even run your own internal ports
build server.

As for fetching the distfiles, most of them are available through HTTP
URLs as well as FTP. For ones that aren't, (and assuming the rather
silly security policies won't allow for an external web-based FTP proxy)
you may need to bring them in by offline media.

Good luck.