Basic i5/i7 Motherboard Suggestion..

Thomas Mueller mueller23 at insightbb.com
Thu Jul 12 07:06:42 UTC 2012

from Pierre-Luc Drouin <pldrouin at pldrouin.net>:

> I am looking to build a simple i5 or i7 CPU-based desktop computer that is
> compatible with FreeBSD. Could someone suggest me a sub $200 motherboard
> whose chipsets and BIOS works well with FreeBSD? I would prefer to stick
> with either Intel or Asus if possible...

MSI is also good with motherboards.  I built a new computer from parts June 2011.

Motherboard was MSI Z68MA-ED55(B3), has served well so far, and works with FreeBSD much better than NetBSD, though NetBSD's problems could be due to other deficiencies, including lack of USB 3.0 support.

CPU is Intel i7 at 2600 MHz.

This motherboard has USB 3.0 and UEFI "Click BIOS".

MSI would have newer models now.

Tom