FreeBSD 9.0 & LSI MegaRAID SATA problem

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Tue Jul 10 11:25:44 UTC 2012

>> precise what is "desktop" usage is.
>
> Here at work we just use non raided disks for workstations which run linux.

and this is proper way to do this.

> The home directories are on nfs, so when a disk fails it's replaced very fast

See above. I cannot imagine any other configuration.

> Me neither, just keep back-ups of important data on a different place/device

Once again - a proper way. rsync is good help.

One more step in "proper way" is to use X terminals. Second hand "thin
clients" eg. Wyse are here for 25$. just replace it's software with
FreeBSD (or even linux) starting Xorg -query <yourserver>

>> Not talking about RAID5 of which i am not interested at all - there is no
>> reason trading performance for available space nowadays with 2-3TB disks.
>
> I have never tries the FreeBSD raid solution as we always have servers with
You should.