RIP routing protocol implementation is FreeBSD?

Kaya Saman kayasaman at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 19:12:21 UTC 2012

On 01/30/2012 06:47 PM, Michael Sierchio wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Kaya Saman<kayasaman at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> does anyone know if there's an implementation of the RIP version 2 routing
>> protocol in FreeBSD???
> man routed
>
>       The routed utility is a daemon invoked at boot time to manage the network
>       routing tables.  It uses Routing Information Protocol, RIPv1 (RFC 1058),
>       RIPv2 (RFC 1723), and Internet Router Discovery Protocol (RFC 1256) to
>       maintain the kernel routing table.
>
> router_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf
>
> this has nothing to do with NAT, btw.

Thanks for the response..... sorry I think I wasn't getting my point
through clearly enough.

Am Cisco Engineer so know the difference between NAT, PAT, Static
routing and dynamic routing ;-)

Yep I read about it in the handbook and yes I have used it before but
not for dynamic routing.

The NAT'ing is what I did previously and was just mentioning what I
'had' used before..... which was everything but dynamic routing on
FreeBSD 8.0 :-)

P.s. sorry if what I'm trying to say isn't getting out clearly enough :-)

Regards,

Kaya