Makeopts DEBUG=-g kernel option

Dirk Kotze dk at Nanoteq.com
Wed Jan 25 09:46:14 UTC 2012

Hi again

Just some feedback - it seems that I have isolated the problem below with the help of a 2005 post by John Nielsen to freebsd-questions (http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-sparc64/2005-August/003423.html).

I have isolated the problem as being caused by the compiler optimization flags, specifically the "-O2 -pipe" flags (the default flags used when "makeoptions  DEBUG=-g" is not specified in the kernel configuration).  I have proved that the DEBUG flag per se has nothing to do with it by removing it, and then adding makeoptions COPTFLAGS="-O -pipe" to the kernel config.  This boots fine.

Funny though, the exact original kernel used (without DEBUG and compiled with -O2) works fine on other hardware (e.g. the Tyan Tank G20 B5211 motherboard with an Intel Core2Duo CPU).  It only fails on the WADE-8020 board. It must be some specific hardware driver used on the WADE-8020 motherboard that breaks when compiled with -O2.

If anyone has suggestions as to how I can trace the problem further (so that I can log a bug with the BSD community), this will be appreciated.  Hopefully I can ensure that a future user does not struggle with the same problem I did.

As always, thanks for the help.

Regards,
Dirk Kotze
Developer

Important Notice:

This e-mail and its contents are subject to the Nanoteq (Pty) Ltd e-mail legal notice available at:
http://www.nanoteq.com/corp_profile/disclaimer.asp