Clang - what is the story?

Chip Camden sterling at camdensoftware.com
Sun Jan 22 20:09:56 UTC 2012

Quoth Robert Bonomi on Sunday, 22 January 2012:
> Da Rock <freebsd-questions at herveybayaustralia.com.au> wrote:
>
> > I personally had no idea this was going on; my impression was gcc grew
> > out of the original compiler that built unix, and the only choices were
> > borland and gcc. The former for win32 crap and the latter for, well,
> > everything else.
>
> "Once upon a time", there were _many_ alternatives for C compilers.
> Commercial -- i.e. 'you pay for it', or bundled with a pay O/S  -- offerings
> included (this is a _partial_ list, ones _I_ have personal knowledge of):
>
>   PCC  -- (the original one0 medium-lousy code but the code-generator was
>            easily adapted to new/diferent hardwre
>   Green Hills Softwaware  (used by a number of unix hardare manufacturers)
>   Sun Microsystems developed their own ("acc")
>   Silicon Graphics, Inc
>   Hewlett-Packard
>   Symantic   (Think C -- notable for high-performance on early Apple Mac's,
> 	      significantly better than Apple's own MPW)
>   Manx Software   ("Aztec C" -- a 'best of breed' for MS-DOS)
>   Microsoft
>   Intel
>   CCS
>   Watcom
>   Borland
>   Zortech
>   Greenleaf Software
>   Ellis Computing (specializing in 'budget' compilers, circa $30 pricetags)
>   "Small C"
>   tcc -- the 'tiny C compiler
>

> I'm sure others can name ones I've overlooked.

I used a horrible C compiler on CP/M -- I guess I've blocked its name out
of my memory.  Anything you found in K&R that sounded cool you had to go
write a test program to see if this compiler actually supported it.
Sometimes it did, but differently.

--
.O. | Sterling (Chip) Camden      | http://camdensoftware.com
..O | sterling at camdensoftware.com | http://chipsquips.com