freebsd-update and archs

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat Jan 21 10:52:37 UTC 2012

On 21/01/2012 10:25, Christer Solskogen wrote:
> I've just finished installing FreeBSD on my "new" Mac mini G4, and
> when I ran freebsd-update on it I found out that freebsd-update only
> supports i386 and amd64 architectures.
> How come?

If that's not an Intel based Mac, then your definition of "new" is,
well, contrary to all accepted usage.

Tier-2 architectures aren't supported by freebsd-update for two reasons:

  * Lack of available hardware for build systems for freebsd-update
    to use.  Not entirely sure what the status of cross-compilation is
    at the moment, but I believe the best results are still obtained by
    compiling natively.

  * Also, quite frankly, lack of demand.  There simply aren't that many
    consumer or server grade systems available using PowerPC at the
    moment.  (Not the case for embedded systems, but they are unlikely
    to be using the public freebsd-update servers.)

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3