carp+hastd at boot

Artem Kajalainen artem at kayalaynen.ru
Wed Jan 18 07:31:24 UTC 2012

Hello,

I'm trying to setup hastd+carp on two FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE servers. hast
switch roles by devd events, and there is one problem. When box is
rebooted, carp interface flapping between states. A have the same
problem as described here -
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2011-August/063742.html.
I have already one master, it set hast node to primary, so when second
box rebooted and carp comes up as master, script invoked by devd set
hast to primary -> split-brain. After few seconds it changes to backup
state.
gw_chlb_2# cat /var/log/messages | grep carp
Jan 18 00:15:20 gw_chlb_2 kernel: carp0: INIT -> BACKUP
Jan 18 00:15:20 gw_chlb_2 kernel: carp0: link state changed to DOWN
Jan 18 00:15:23 gw_chlb_2 kernel: carp0: link state changed to UP
Jan 18 00:15:28 gw_chlb_2 kernel: carp0: MASTER -> BACKUP (more
frequent advertisement received)
Jan 18 00:15:28 gw_chlb_2 kernel: carp0: link state changed to DOWN

I think, I can write shell script, which will check carp state after
2-3 minutes after boot and then set up hast role accordingly, but I
don't want to re-invent wheel. How this master state at boot can be
avoided?
---
With Best Regards / Ystävällisin terveisin
Artem Kajalainen