access(FULLPATH, xxx);

Da Rock freebsd-questions at herveybayaustralia.com.au
Mon Jan 16 02:07:43 UTC 2012

On 01/14/12 22:06, Polytropon wrote:

>>> As far as writing applications goes, that is _somewhat_ correct.
>>>
>>> However, 'trial and error' is _not_ the same thing as 'try it and find out'.
>>> See the entire subject area of 'benchmarking'.
>>>
>>> And,  the only way to definitively establish if an alternate approach is
>>> 'better' -- i.e. 'faster', or 'smaller', or 'more efficient', etc. -- *IS*
>>> to run a trial.
>>>
>>> Your professor undoubtedly would not of approved when I wrote bubble-sort
>>> code that _out-performed_ any other sorting technique -- up to the limits
>>> of memory.  Or when I re-wrote an application that used binary searches
>>> of records, with a new version that used a brute-force linear search.  I
>>> thought I could 'do it better/faster' than the existing code, but the only
>>> way to "definitively" find out was to 'try it'.  And the 'trial' proved
>>> out -- the replacement code was 'merely' somewhat over 100 times faster.
>>> *grin*
>> Ha! Love it... :D
> Mee too - except that I didn't want to show that
> "typical attitude". In fact, I tried to make a
> (kinf of humourical) statement about a habit that
> I could observe at many students when I was at
> university.
>
> Background:
>
> When you write source code, you can make errors.
> Compiler shows errors. Some students started
> with "trial&  error" to just silence the compiler.
> One form was that all functional parts of the
> program were enclosed in /* and */ (it was a
> C class) - no errors, but no action. A different
> approach was to arbitrarily (!) change the source
> code, something like that:
>
> 	void *foo(int blah, void *meow())(int ouch);
>
> Hmmm... gives me segfaults. Maybe something's
> wrong with the pointers?
>
> 	void *foo(int blah, void **meow())(int ouch);
>
> Not much better, segfaults too. How about that?
>
> 	void *foo(int blah, void meow())(int *ouch);
>
> Well... also not better. I've heared about parentheses,
> maybe those can help?
>
> 	void *foo(int blah), void *meow)(int ouch);
>
> Shit, doesn't even compile anymore! Uhm... _what_ did
> I change? Oh wait, I know:
>
> 	void *foo(int blah, (void *)meow())(int ouch);
>
> Just produces garbage, then segfaults... what could I
> change next?
>
> I think you get the idea.
>
> Other students could not understand that even if a
> program compiles without any errors, there _may_ be
> the possibility that it doesn't do what they intended
> it to do. They seemed to believe in some kind of
> magical "semantic compiler":
>
> 	int x, y, sum;
> 	x = 100;
> 	y = 250;
> 	sum = a - b;
>
> They expected the compiler to notice what's wrong here
> if you consider the _meaning_ of the identifiers. It's
> not that obvious if you use x, y, and z. :-)
>

>>> As far as 'doing it once' for the purpose of answering a 'how does it work'
> [...]
I think the problem these days is a combination of many things.

Firstly, in the old days (I sound like grandpa... :/ ) punch cards were
hard to do, time consuming, and machine time was very expensive. So
programmers had to get it right the first time (or close to it), and
documentation was paramount.

Secondly, in the early years the internet wasn't exactly up and running
(as such), and so global programming teams weren't a problem with
language differences (and people were taught far better english and
speling- whoops spelling :) none of this and other shortenings;
ambiguity kept to a minimum).

Thirdly, when things did become easier (gcc era?) the documentation
slipped, and programmers started getting more sloppy, as the mistakes
were easily fixed. The docs became more ambiguous, and language did
start slipping (globally- not just in computing).

Fourthly, globalisation occured, internet was up and running on a global
scale, international teams were working on programs, and people were
attempting to translate japanese manuals into english (if you catch my
drift... :) I used to be a Xeroid and this was a standing joke). So not
all docs were as clear anymore.

Lastly, we have the travesty of a lack of discipline in skills. Near
enough's good enough, and so on. No one is taking the time anymore to
become "skilled" - they want it now or never. Take a 6 week course and
become an expert. The masters and gurus are becoming few and far between
now (although there appears to be a nice concentration here- thats why I
stick around. Linux lists seem to have the cranky ones :) ). And so we
have the case as you have outlined Poly. That said the docs are getting
to be of not much help either unless you're partly clairvoyant too in
more cases than should be.

It is not always easy to articulate exactly what something does and how
it works, but the basics should be there. Given the global society we
live in with the numerous dialects its a hard task to try to ensure
everyone will understand precisely. Care needs to be taken to ensure
everyone does, though, if something in the code will blow something up.
Ideally, it would be handy to have translators on hand to help with
documentation projects, but that is not a feasible prospect. Examples
would probably work better than a thousand words (like a picture)- no
translation required.

Myself I believe that one needs to read the docs thoroughly and then if
it is ambiguous then run a test case, if all else fails: ask. But one
needs to be as exact as possible when doing anything. "Any job worth
doing is worth doing properly", and "god/devil is in the details" - Is
say "God _and_ the devil is in the details": if you don't pay attention
to the details the devil _will_ make sure it bites you in the ass!

Its a crazy world, though, isn't it? :)