FreeBSD9 + PHP

Damien Fleuriot ml at my.gd
Tue Jan 10 14:32:25 UTC 2012

On 1/10/12 3:09 PM, Alejandro Imass wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 5:09 AM, Dick Hoogendijk <dick at nagual.nl> wrote:
>> Op 9-1-2012 21:02, alexus schreef:
>>>
>>> there is no way to make it like that? so it has to be build via ports?

>> Yes there is no other way. Personally I find this unchecking rather weird.
>> To me apache/PHP are a happily married couple. It makes building a webserver
>> on packages only *not* possible and that's stupid imo.
>>

> +1
> I second you again here!
>
> I've read in some PHP forums to stay away from Apache and mod_php and
> to use FCGI instead. Maybe this is a trend in the PHP community, but I
> couldn't care less because IMO it hurts FBSD in the long run, not to
> have the module built by default.

And that's your MO.

Mine is, as I pointed out in my earlier reply to Dick, that people who
don't even *use* apache shouldn't get stuck with a *useless apache
module* just because they installed PHP.

A possible alternative that would keep everyone happy would be *another*
package that actually includes the module, like for example a package
called "mod_php5", it would install the stuff from php5 + the apache module.