ZFS Root Won't Mount - Unknown Filesystem -- SOLVED

Matt Mullins mokomull at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 01:31:26 UTC 2012

Whoops, I missed this message before posting my reply a few minutes ago.

On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 9:36 AM, Drew Tomlinson <drew at mykitchentable.net> wrote:
> Yes, although I've read that 'zfs set mountpoint=/ zroot' is acceptable as
> well.  I set mine to "/" after trying to import pool with '-o altroot=/mnt'
> in LiveCD.  When mountpoint was "legacy", altroot didn't work right.
>  Opinions on "/" vs. "legacy"?

Most of the FreeBSD guides seem to think "legacy" is the way to go,
but I much prefer "/" myself.  The main difference is with "legacy",
one sets a mountpoint option on each filesystem under it (which does,
indeed, undermine the altroot facility), whereas "/" lets the other
filesystems inherit their mountpoint from their path in the zpool.
"/" seems to be a little closer to its Solaris usage, which is still
the majority of the documentation you'll find on ZFS on the internet
(and even in the man pages distributed with FreeBSD).
--
Matt Mullins