OpenBSD disk on FreeBSD.

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Jan 8 22:00:08 UTC 2012

On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 16:13:38 -0500 (EST), R. Clayton wrote:
>   Thanks for your reply to my message.
>
> you can address the partitions on that slice (da0s4) like you would access them
> on FreeBSD.
>
>   "mount /dev/da0s4a" didn't work.  However, looking in dmesg I saw
>
>     WARNING: R/W mount of /mnt/backups denied.  Filesystem is not clean - run fsck

If you're intending to copy data FROM the disk, i. e.
you want to _recover_ data, do _not_ mount something
R/W (because you don't have to). Always use "-o ro",
at least in early stages.

The denial of the mount is justified due to file system
errors which are correctly detected (and then corrected
by fsck).

>   After running "fsck -t ufs /dev/da0s4", "mount /dev/da0s4a" still didn't
>   work, but
>
>     # mount /dev/da0s4 mnt
>
>   did work:
>
>     # cat mnt/angkor-wat/etc/fstab
>     # fs-spec mount-point type options frequency pass-no
>     /dev/wd0a / ffs rw 1 1
>     /dev/wd0h /home ffs rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2
>     /dev/wd0d /tmp ffs rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2
>     /dev/wd0g /usr ffs rw,nodev 1 2
>     /dev/wd0e /var ffs rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2
>     /dev/sd0a /mnt/backups ffs rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2
>     /dev/sd0d /mnt/storage ffs rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2
>     /dev/cd0a /cdrom cd9660 ro,noauto 0 0
>
>     #
>
>   However, I can only mount the sd0a (OpenBSD) partition; [...]

That is the root partition /, and suffixes d, e, g, h
should be available.

> [...] the sd0d partition is
>   nowhere to be found:
>
>     $ sudo fsck -t ufs /dev/da0s4d
>     ** /dev/da0s4d
>     Cannot find file system superblock
>     ioctl (GCINFO): Inappropriate ioctl for device
>     fsck_ufs: /dev/da0s4d: can't read disk label
>
>     $
>
>   On the other hand,
>
>     $ sudo fsck -t ufs /dev/da0s4a
>     ** /dev/da0s4a
>     Cannot find file system superblock
>     ioctl (GCINFO): Inappropriate ioctl for device
>     fsck_ufs: /dev/da0s4a: can't read disk label
>
>     $
>
>   so maybe the partition names are wrong.

Can you obtain partitioning information via bsdlabel
(disklabel) for the s4 slice to check if FreeBSD can
identify the other partitions properly.

If you visit the mailing list archives, you will find
hints to procedures and software to do a deeper
analysis of the structures that need to be accessed,
such as disk labels, file system data and other stuff.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany