OpenBSD disk on FreeBSD.

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Jan 8 19:51:40 UTC 2012

On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 14:42:01 -0500, R. Clayton wrote:
> The OpenBSD fstab is gone, and the backup copy is (of course) on the disk I
> want to mount.  How do I go about mounting this disk on FreeBSD?  The following
> don't work:
>
>   # mount /dev/da0 mnt
>   mount: /dev/da0 : Invalid argument
>
>   # mount /dev/da0s4 mnt
>   mount: /dev/da0s4 : Operation not permitted

According to http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html you
can address the partitions on that slice (da0s4) like
you would access them on FreeBSD.

	# mount -o ro -t ufs /dev/da0s4a /mnt

This will give you the root partition. Other partitions
can be mounted separately (or in sequence, after unmounting
/mnt), or they can be mounted into the /mnt tree to their
original locations, e. g.

	# mount -o ro -t ufs /dev/da0s4e /mnt/tmp
	# mount -o ro -t ufs /dev/da0s4f /mnt/var
	# mount -o ro -t ufs /dev/da0s4g /mnt/usr
	# mount -o ro -t ufs /dev/da0s4h /mnt/home

I would suggest you _first_ mount each partition individually
and see from its content what it has been designated to. If
you can find a copy of the original /etc/fstab somewhere
on one of the partitions, you can use its content to avoid
guessing. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany