xfce4 / gtk-update-icon-cache fails with "cairo needs X11"

Waitman Gobble gobble.wa at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 21:47:13 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 6:59 AM, Waitman Gobble <gobble.wa at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am doing a fresh install of FreeBSD 9.0-RC3
> from FreeBSD-9.0-RELEASE-i386-memstick.img on an Acer Aspire One
> netbook. Last night I attempted to install xfce4 from /usr/ports/x11-wm and
> it stopped with error:
>
> gtk-update-icon-cache-(version): Needs cairo build with X11 support
>
> (sorry, don't recall version off the top of my head) I remember that cairo
> was installed before getting to gtk-update-icon-cache. I checked
> /etc/make.conf and there is nothing X11 related, ie WITHOUT_X11 is NOT set.
> I went over to /usr/ports/graphics/cairo and did a make config, did not see
> anything about X11 as an option, did a make install clean and I saw libX11
> in the output.. Think it's ok. Then I went back to /usr/ports/x11-wm/xfce4
> and redid make install clean to build... it continued on without further
> issue (so far :)
>
> I found another post about gtk-update-icon-cache and cairo/X11 but it does
> not appear to be a related issue.
>
> At the moment the xfce4 build is working for me, so my issue is resolved..
> But not sure why I received the error, might be something to check out? Is
> there a better place to report potential issues with RC versions?
>
> Excited about 9 on the netbook, I tried FreeBSD 7.0 when i first got the
> Acer but could not get wireless working at the time so i scrapped it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Waitman Gobble
> San Jose California USA

Hit another snag, seems to be related to doxygen.

(still) Installing xfce4 from /usr/ports/x11-wm with a fresh install
of FreeBSD 9.0-RC3 / FreeBSD-9.0-RELEASE-i386-memstick.img on an Acer
Aspire One netbook...

Seems to be going in an infinite loop of dependency checking. I'm getting a
'make max recursion 500 error' and the build bombs out. Just to see I went
to /usr/ports/devel/doxygen and make clean then make install with same
results. Just now starting to troubleshoot but if anyone has any hints that
would be great! :)

Thanks
Waitman