ZFS Root Won't Mount - Unknown Filesystem

APseudoUtopia apseudoutopia at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 16:29:03 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Mark Felder <feld at feld.me> wrote:
> Hi Drew,
>
> I'm pretty sure you can't run a RAIDZ as your root pool. That's likely the
> problem. Kind of sucks, I know :-(

You can use raidz1 as your root pool. I'm running it right now on my 9.0 system.

Drew: My first suggestion is to confirm that you added the proper
options in /boot/loader.conf. Mine looks like this:

vfs.root.mountfrom="zfs:zroot"
zfs_load="YES"

In addition, zfs_enable="YES" in your /etc/rc.conf to automount the
other zfs filesystems, such as /usr, /var, or whichever ones you
setup.

Did you set the proper mountpoints on your zfs filesystems before
rebooting? As in, `zfs set mountpoint=legacy zroot` and `zfs set
mountpoint=/usr zroot/usr` and so on, for each for your file systems.