Apparently conflicting smartctl output

Bas Smeelen b.smeelen at ose.nl
Fri Jan 6 15:00:56 UTC 2012

On 01/06/2012 03:39 PM, Warren Block wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Jan 2012, Bas Smeelen wrote:
>
>> I have had this with a drive and multiple read errors would not remap the
>> sector.
>> With write errors the sector would be remapped. This was a new Samsung
>> laptop drive though, not a Western Digital.
>
> That's standard.  Sectors are only remapped to spares on a write error.
>
>> To get the sector remapped I had to fully write the drive and it was ok
>> after that.
>
> Just writing to the sector should be enough.  Of course, when one sector
> goes bad, others often follow.

I just hope it does not develop more bad sectors.

>From what I read on the "Bad block HOWTO for smartmontools" on sourceforge
it's not trivial to just write to that sector and also it would destroy the
filesystem?
So I just copied a big iso file several times untill the sector got
remapped, the disk was almost full then.
This is a brand new disk, maybe I should return it under warranty then,
though it did not develop more bad sectors?

Disclaimer: http://www.ose.nl/email