9.0-RELEASE amd64 Bricked My Hard Drive

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Fri Jan 6 14:46:20 UTC 2012

El día Friday, January 06, 2012 a las 06:37:02AM -0800, Waitman Gobble escribió:

> On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 3:21 AM, Bill Tillman <btillman99 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > I had been running a similar computer with Windows XP with it. The
> > drive was working fine a few moments before I did the install. I have
> > a utility to test hard drives which boots from CD but like I said, when
> > this drive is on a cable connected to any machine, booting is a
> > non-option. I have an old IDE controller but it's ISA and I have
> > not ISA slots on this computer. Looks like I may have to try the USB
> > drive boot option to get on with this rescue.

It seems that there are BIOS features which need to have access to
certain sectors of the disk with additional (Winblows) software. Once
you format the entire disk for FreeBSD you will not enter the BIOS
dialogue, nor it will boot anymore; google for a thread of FreeBSD
installation on Acer laptops.

HIH

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz
t +49-89-61308 351 - f +49-89-61308 399 - m +49-170-4527211