FBSD-9.0-RC3 Disk 1 ISO Bootable?

R Skinner rocky at herveybayaustralia.com.au
Thu Jan 5 04:05:05 UTC 2012

On 01/05/12 13:23, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
> I downloaded FreeBSD-9.0-RC3-amd64-disc1.iso
> <ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/9.0/FreeBSD-9.0-RC3-amd64-disc1.iso>
> and burned the image to CD.  However the CD does not boot.  Just
> wanted to confirm that it is supposed to be bootable.
>
> Also, is there a DVD version?  I don't have many CDs around my house
> but plenty of DVDs.  :)
Hi Drew, and welcome to FreeBSD.

How did you 'burn' the disc? As an iso image (in Windows) you can open
any burning program and tell it to burn it as is; you don't need to
extract any contents. This is the usual problem if it won't boot.

Alternatively, you can try making an installer on a usb disk. I'd
recommend at least a 2Gb stick, preferably 4G. See:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/bsdinstall-pre.html
section 3.3.5.

HTH