Exact timestamp for sorting and renaming files according to creation order

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Jan 3 21:00:27 UTC 2012

On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 14:49:02 -0600, Dan Nelson wrote:
> If you ask for the date to be printed in "float" (F) format, it gives more
> precision.  The default is unsigned int (U) format.
>
> % stat -f "%N %FB" /COPYRIGHT
> /COPYRIGHT 1306190895.046721049

Strangely, I only get a 000000000 "suffix" for any
time stamp, no matter if I create the file or apply
the command as shown above to an existing file:

	% stat -f "%N %FB" /COPYRIGHT
	/COPYRIGHT 1313951230.000000000

Am I missing some file system feature?

Otherwise, this _exactly_ looks like what I'm searching
for. It doesn't need to be a "human-readable" date
representation.

by the way, I'm running FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE/x86 of
late August 2011 here, file system used is UFS2.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany