buildworld error 8.2-STABLE amd64

Marco Steinbach coco at executive-computing.de
Mon Jan 2 12:16:22 UTC 2012

Janos Dohanics wrote on 02.01.2012 11:04:
> On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 07:18:53 +0100
> Marco Steinbach <coco at executive-computing.de> wrote:
>
>> Janos Dohanics wrote on 31.12.2011 19:56:
>>> Buildworld stopped with this error (with updated source):
>>>
>>> [...]
>>> cc "-O3"  -DNEED_SOLARIS_BOOLEAN
>> [...]
>>> I have posted the build log at
>>> http://wwwp.3dresearch.com/ALMAVIVA2011123101_buildworld
>>>
>>> Would you please advise?
>> Quoting /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf:
>>
>> # CFLAGS controls the compiler settings used when compiling C code.
>> # Note that optimization settings other than -O and -O2 are not
>> # recommended or supported for compiling the world or the kernel -
>> # please revert any nonstandard optimization settings to "-O" or "-O2
>> # -fno-strict-aliasing" before submitting bug reports without patches
>> # to the developers.
>>
>> The error you're seeing is a result from using O3 for building the
>> source in question -- At least my 8.2-STABLE ran into the same
>> problem, once I used O3, instead of the default '-O2 -pipe'.
>>
>> MfG CoCo
>
> Thank you, there was indeed the line CFLAGS="-O3" in make.conf, after I
> have commented it out, I could build world.
>
> I'm wondering how was my make.conf changed though; I'm sure I did not
> add CFLAGS="-O3" - is it possible that one of the ports have added this?

Although, as far as I can tell, not explicitly forbidden in the porter's
handbook, I think that to be highly unlikely in the case of CFLAGS.

The least I'd expect would be some kind notice, if so intrusive a change
is done deliberately.

If I'd suspect a port fiddling with /etc/make.conf, I'd probably go
looking for entries carrying a timestamp close to /etc/make.confs in
/var/db/pkg.  Of course, this largely depends on what happened in
between the time of actual modification and me noticing, but I think
that's the first thing I'd do.

MfG CoCo